Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thank you notes

The Gift (oil on canvas)Image via WikipediaIt looks like I've touched off a bit of debate over at The Simple Dollar. Trent gives a really great how-to breakdown, but I disagree with him on one point: he was taught you always cite the amount of a monetary gift, I was taught you never do -- don't even say that it was money, just that it was a "generous gift."
What are your thoughts?
Do you hate writing thank you notes? I've worked out a really easy template:
Dear [name],
Thank you ["so"/"very"] much for the [gift/"generous gift"]. [Specify why you like it and/or how you will use it and/or something, anything positive you can think of. Even if the sweater looks like something the dog vomited, say how warm it is!]
More importantly, thank you for ["remembering"/"attending"/"recognizing" event]. Your continued ["love"/"support"/"mentorship"/etc., pick 2] has meant so much to me over the ["years"/"past few months"/etc.]
Again, thank you.
Sincerely,
[Your name]
Obviously, it changes a bit when the thank you is in reference to a job interview, but this should at least get you started.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Hey Laura,

    I think you are both correct. If you are comfortable using the dollar amount, go ahead. If not, don't.

    I use an internet based company to help me send cards. Go to www.sendoutcards.com/18097 to find out more. You can send 1000's of actual cards (mailed from Utah) using your own handwriting as a font. It is easy, quick and much less expensive than using store bought cards. When I help a family with one of my products I send a gift card (typically Starbucks) or brownies using the service.

    Check it out and tell me what you think.

    Best regards,
    John
    johnmc70@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete